My family in Alaska is large, and when we get the relatives from the lower states to join us, we can certainly fill a room! This is my mother and father, my older sister Lynn and her family, my younger sister Shannyn and her family, my brother Curt minus his wife, my cousin Mary and her family, my Aunt Georgia and Aunt Jill, then there is us and our kids. These are the people that make the cold winter months enjoyable in Alaska. Summer is great too! July 2009

Saturday, January 1, 2011






Do you remember that song from Sunday school when you were a kid? "This is the day, this is the day that the Lord hath made, that the Lord hath made, I will rejoice, I will rejoice and be glad in it, and be glad in it..." ?

I sing that when I get up, just to remember what I DO have when this town starts to weigh down on me.

Waynesville, where we live, has a road through it called Historic Route 66, and honestly it is quite charming. When they say and event is held at "the town square" they really DO mean the town square. It is a square...in town...and that's where the events are. Parades the boys have been in, concerts the boys have sung in, Hayrides that go around it, and of course Santa Claus. All in the dressed up "town square". I even took the kids pictures by a spray painted wall that just fit the feel of Route 66. Off to the side of that is a little spot called Biledoux Creek, and it is pretty no matter what time of year. I have gone there on my own to sit and think. I have brought the boys for pictures.



When I get to hating it...feeling closed in and smothered, I go to Biledoux Creek to remind myself that if we look hard enough, this place will have some beauty of it's own that we will want to remember. I look at the library and see a tin shack the size of a trailer (it really is) and can't help but smile. Positive: at least they have one. I see the run down tiny motel waiting on the side of Route 66. Positive: there is always a place to stay for that late night stragler. Although it is in another town, we have a Walmart we can use and are blessed that it is a Super Center. Lord knows where we would get groceries if it wasn't. Most of the things around here I have to shake my head in wonder, sometimes disgust. It's too small, but everyone knows each other. It's too slow, but no one rushes you off when you want to talk. The things that drive me crazy, I can always stop and redirect my thoughts so that it can be a good thing if I try hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment