My family in Alaska is large, and when we get the relatives from the lower states to join us, we can certainly fill a room! This is my mother and father, my older sister Lynn and her family, my younger sister Shannyn and her family, my brother Curt minus his wife, my cousin Mary and her family, my Aunt Georgia and Aunt Jill, then there is us and our kids. These are the people that make the cold winter months enjoyable in Alaska. Summer is great too! July 2009

Monday, January 23, 2012

He's MY kid...I know him better...

I visited a doc to get Luke's meds again, and to make sure he was growing like he is supposed to. Well, he HAS grown in height and weight, but we had an issue with his meds. At the last appointment for Luke, the doctor tried to convince me that the medication Luke was taking for ADHD was no longer appropriate for his age and size, and that I should change it. I told him that I didn't see any real reason to change it, since his behavior didn't change, his school work was still great, and he had not talked to me about having any difficulty (nor had his teachers). He urged me to consider it and sent us on our way. Luke and talked about it on the way home, with no real decision made. A little while before our next appointment, Luke said he was thinking of changing it and would like to try something else. Since we had bad luck with a change once before, I warned him that he was to come to me if he had any changes in feelings and I would help him. Luke said he was well aware of the risks, but was willing to try something new to help with focus (he didn't feel he was doing as well in school as he should be and things were being forgotten and made up in class). Having a class that keeps careful track of his progress helps, he was not failing but he knew he was needing a little more help. So we went into the office, feeling like we had discussed it, we knew the pro's and con's and the doc would be happy with our decision to do as he asked. It should be and in-out kind of thing. Well, we get in there and the doc does his thing by talking to me...but never looking at Luke. So I bring up his suggested med change and tell him we had discussed it and are ready to make that change. He still didn't look at or talk to Luke. (HE is taking the medicine, NOT me!) Well, the doc asked why I wanted to change it. I told him Luke says he is not as focused as he was on the old meds and would like to try the one he suggested. The doc then says that what Luke is having issue's with is NOT something he can fix with a medication change. I told him that HE was the one that suggested it! He then repeats that the issue's Luke has is not from ADHD and no medicine is going to help him be responsible and do what he is supposed to do, not only that but I should NOT be talking about THIS behavior with Luke in the room. I laughed and asked what he meant, that Luke is always involved in what he is taking into his own body and always HAS been involved. The doc then said that there are subjects that should not be talked around kids, and my problems with his behavior and my poor reaction to his problems is NOT something he should hear. WHAT?! He suggested that Luke and I go to counseling so that I can learn what ADHD is and how to cope with it. I said "You know what? Go ahead and set up a counseling appointment and we will go. I am sure Luke will find it easier to talk to someone about things that actually understands than to you. Luke has always been a part of his treatment, he has always had counseling available, and the only time he needs to see a doctor for it is to make sure he is growing like he is supposed to. I guess we will see you again IF Luke continues the medication." And we LEFT. Luke said he would like to talk to a counselor again, so I don't mind setting it up. I don't mind talking to her either. I am NOT going to talk to her like Luke should not have a say in things or that his learning disability and ADHD is a stigma or something that is 'wrong' with him! Luke and I might not have a strong bond like we used to because of the teen years, but I know my son, and he knows I will do what I can to help him succeed in his life. He knows he can lean on me. No doctor is going to tell him he doesn't have a voice in his own life. I KNOW MY KID.

1 comment:

  1. AAcckk!! there is a name for how the doctor treated you. he was arrogant and seems to have forgotten his empathy card at home. I have issues with a lot of doctors not listening nor paying attention to what you say. ugh!

    ReplyDelete