My family in Alaska is large, and when we get the relatives from the lower states to join us, we can certainly fill a room! This is my mother and father, my older sister Lynn and her family, my younger sister Shannyn and her family, my brother Curt minus his wife, my cousin Mary and her family, my Aunt Georgia and Aunt Jill, then there is us and our kids. These are the people that make the cold winter months enjoyable in Alaska. Summer is great too! July 2009

Monday, March 1, 2010

Broken Finger? Asthma Attack?


Okay, so I am finally able to get on here and write. It has been busy. Luke has had trouble with his asthma since the day after his play. At first I thought the weird noise when he spoke was because of the two plays he did in one day might have caused trouble with his throat. Nope. That afternoon he was wheezing, and I know what comes after that. After my move to Alaska I found a WONDERFUL pediatrician who specializes in asthma, and he gave me tools to help Luke live comfortably, and helped me manage his asthma where I was not worried every time he went to sleep. In Georgia, where we discovered he had this problem, there was such high pollen and humidity that he was barely able to breath on a daily basis. After moving, his problems went from every couple of weeks to every couple of months to now maybe twice a year. He manages his asthma on a 'need to' basis with an inhaler. No more breathing treatments or steroid shots. So when he has a problem starting, we recognize it and fix it before it gets bad. Today it has been four days of 'risk' and 'prevention'. Luke is finally on the up swing, even though he had to stay home today, and his cough is now our favored wet cough instead of the high risk dry 'goose' cough. Whew. Another disaster avoided.

Then there is Josh, who came home from school today with a pinky the size of his middle finger. He tells me that a 'bigger' girl wanted the basket ball from him after he made her mad by getting the shot. He was laughing on the floor with the ball, until she stepped on his hand and demanded he give up the ball. Too bad I taught my son not to hit a girl.

It looked to me to be either dislocated or broken. He was not complaining much, and could move it for the most part, but just in case I took him in to the hospital. It seems that Josh has a 'crush injury', not broken or dislocated. If pressed hard enough, the muscles are stretched and the blood vessels break. That's all that happened. Nothing major. Currently he is wearing a splint and will keep it on for a reminder of the injury for 2 or 3 days. It is already irritating him. He deals pretty well with injuries. They end up being no big deal for Josh. Definatly not a drama queen about such things.

So, now I need to get the darn house clean and enjoy a hot bath before bed. I have had enough for one day. Lets hope I can keep them alive to give me some grandchildren some day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment