Just hearing that number puts me in a panic, how about you?
As I have posted in FB, I took the kids to Anchorage Kids Day down town. I got some other adults to go with me since Wes was working because I am a serious chicken when it comes to the city on my own with all of my kids with me. If I can get help, I take it. If I can't then I change my plans or brave it if necessary. Anyway, I got help and took them.
We go into this building that is full of booths for everything you can imagine. It is overwhelming with how many people crammed in the building and stood at lines for each booth. I already knew I did not plan to stay long. So we scoped things out, let the kids get in line for information on things they were interested in, and I took Joey to some area's with coloring available to keep him busy. While we are sitting there, Joey notices we are right beside the EMERGENCY booth where they teach kids how to call 911 and what to say. He never got up from coloring, but he would glance over once and a while while other kids practiced. He could hear what the Operators were coaching children to say, and he could hear the children and parent responses. But he never said anything nor asked me to go try it out. So, that's the end of this story, right?
Wrong...
I am running down stairs at nap time, Joey is the only one awake and glued to the cartoons I turned on for him. I am free to get the laundry switched over, or so I thought. No sooner had I shut the light off in the laundry room and pick up my basket did the phone ring. I got half way up the stairs with the full and heavy basket before I had to set it down and run. I had one ring left before I lost the call. Grabbed it just in time, huffing and puffing with a quick hello to hear "This is the 911 operator, do you need help?" Uh, confused, seriously. So I said what any confused person with a head full of questions might say, "What?". Duh. She said that a little kid had called stating that someone in their house died. DIED?! Do we have to be so dramatic?! Couldn't it be passed out or bleeding? No, DIED!! My son had gotten a stool and climbed up to the phone, took it off the hook and dialed 911. He waited patiently while the lady tried to ask him questions, and he repeated over and over (4x's she said!) that "someone in his house is dead". Then he HUNG UP on her!
I am thankful she called back and that I did not just ignore the phone instead of dashing to get it. If I had not gotten that call, I would have had a drive way full of police officers, fire trucks and ambulances!!!! Oh, the neighborhood embarrassment. She warned me not to be upset with him and scare him out of touching the phone or calling 911. She gave me a lot of good advice on how to explain to him what the service is for. I am such and idiot. I taught my other three boys this, so why not Joey? Where is my brain?
So we had a quick little meeting on the purpose of 911 and what to say to the 'hurt' person before you call. If they don't answer back, call right away. If they can't get up, call. If they are screaming in pain, CALL! But never, ever, EVER call and fib. I think he has it now. But just in case, I will be running after that phone if it rings.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment