As everyone should know, we are going to our new duty station, leaving at the end of July. In preparation for this, we are cutting down on the clutter accumulated the last six years in this apartment. I had the opportunity to clean the little boys room with Joey's help while the big kids were at school. Now he has a VERY clean room, and we can see by a glance what we want to take with us and what will be packed by the movers. The toy box itself is nearly empty, and all the stuffed animals that sat in a cubbyhole beside it are now in the toy box itself. He has a tote for Lego's and Diego toys. Another for books that are put away for damage control reasons. Another tote holds all his 'little people' play things that he loves dearly. And yet another for all of his cars and trains. He can walk in and clean the room in just a matter of minutes because of the reorganization. He has even decided which tote will go with him on the trip between the seats where both him and Nathan will be entertained. I am sure other toys will go in it for the time, but he decided the car tote was the one to travel with him. I know that after I pack a bag for their clothes, that the movers can go in and pack up the room in a matter of minutes, and that makes me feel good.
The problem with this cleanup and reorganization was the big boy room. Ugh. I hate that room more than anything. Not only did they have to store my piano in there, but they have the bunk bed, a trophy case, a desk and computer, and a dresser full of games with a TV on top and game console. I am afraid to MOVE in there. Some how they kept it so the center of the room still has a sit down place to build with tiny Lego's, but other wise, I felt suffocated! I decided today was the day I felt lucky, even if they didn't. Matt jumped right in to helping, while Josh putzes around waiting to get me hollering! Matt finally got it that after one piece is gone through (keep, give away, throw away) to put the keep items back neatly for the movers. We did their 'library', their clothes in the closet shelves, and under the bed. Now the bed that was FILLED with crap only has three items under it. Six different art kids were whittled down to the two wooden ones, safe for travel or movers, Matt's choice. Tons of clothing, shoes, toys and books where packed in the van. Their room is also, "Pack to go or pack to move" ready!
Now if only I can get my husband, otherwise known as pack rat, into our room to do the same thing with his closets. The man has more clothes than I do! I want this move quick and easy, and so far the kids rooms meet those standards. I plan to do my living room a little at a time the same way. Salvation Army is going to be LOVING US!
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment