
Josh had his 13th birthday, the first birthday of an official teenager! Wow, where did the time go? Joshua is indeed a unique human being, comfortable in his own skin, the leader of a group, and the top of his class. I remember back in 1996, when the doctors told me I had cervical cancer for the first time, and they warned me that I may need to have surgery that would prevent me from having any more children. I only had Matt at the time, and I knew that I wanted him to have a sibling, not be the one and only. So I tried for three months just to get pregnant, while still going through the biopsy's for cancer. When the pregnancy test came back, I was over whelmed, and over joyed. Matt and the new baby would only be 18 months apart!
I found out at my 8th month check up that Josh would be a boy. Yes, I cried. I thought that if I could only have two kids, that I would like to have one of each. I wanted a girl, I dreamed about a girl, I prayed for a girl, but there was Josh in all his full glory and unmistakeably boy. After spending time alone that day to come to terms with the loss of a dream, I again prayed to God. "Lord, if you are giving me another boy, please find it in your heart to make them 100% different, so I can be surprised by each one of them as they grow." The lord answered my prayers! Joshua was born on April 11th, to a room full of family, without one bit of drugs taken by me so that he would be full and alert and so that I could enjoy him from the moment he took his first breath. He was 8 pounds even. He was heavier than his brother was, but shorter, and had this beautiful fire red hair! I smiled, so far so good!
Josh learned to walk by eight months, which scared me to death. He had only just begun sliding along on his belly, never even crawling before going straight to pulling up on things! He was talking at a year old, and by 18 months he was using very descriptive full sentences! ("Mmmmmm, Mom dinner smells delicious!") He had his alphabet memorized by the time he was two, and could read Dr. Seuss books at age three. Josh was very outgoing, had very little fear but a lot of common sense (he never really got into danger, but liked to try new things). It got to the point where both him and his brother were talking the same, and doing the same things. Everyone thought they were twins!
Josh's face was round, while Matt's was long. Josh's hair turned blonde, while Matt's is brown. Josh had bright blue eyes, while Matt's are hazel. Josh was short and chubby, while Matt was tall and lean. Josh had an out going personality while Matt was shy. Josh didn't take any bodies crap, when Matt would accept what ever happened. I got my wish from the moment he was born, and today is no different. I get to experience new things with Matt, like girls and creative classes. Josh is not interested in girls, but has a ton of friends and is very social. Matt is pretty easy going, go with the flow. Josh is very sarcastic and in your face. Matt shirks any kind of work if possible, even though he lends a hand when needed. Josh will LOOK for outside jobs to keep busy and get paid!
The Lord knew what he was doing when he sent me another son. I should never have questioned that. To this day I don't have any biological daughters of my own, and honestly, I don't think I could do a girl justice. I have too much fun being a tomboy with my boys!
I am proud of Joshua Curtis Taylor Rath every day, but so are most parents of their children. But I am also inspired and in awe of my son. I am proud to be his Mom.
Happy 13th Birthday Joshua, welcome to the next stage of your wonderful life! I know you will take all the opportunities offered to you, and even some that aren't. I know you will climb the highest mountains and deepest seas, especially if someone tells you it is impossible. I believe you can make any thing happen. I love you.

Thanks for having us at the party, Jen & Josh!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Gigi & Jill