My family in Alaska is large, and when we get the relatives from the lower states to join us, we can certainly fill a room! This is my mother and father, my older sister Lynn and her family, my younger sister Shannyn and her family, my brother Curt minus his wife, my cousin Mary and her family, my Aunt Georgia and Aunt Jill, then there is us and our kids. These are the people that make the cold winter months enjoyable in Alaska. Summer is great too! July 2009

Friday, February 5, 2010

Letting Matthew Make his own Choices


Matthew is my oldest, who turned 14 in mid October. He is already taller than his father and I at five feet and eight and a half inches. (5' 8.5") I am five six, and his father is five eight. Matt has dark hair, year round tan skin, and beautiful green eyes. (some say hazel, but I disagree) Matt was diagnosed as having ADHD in kindergarten. I already knew, but I never really cared enough to seek out a diagnoses. I could handle him. What I could not handle was the kindergarten teacher holding him down while he is kicking and screaming. My son never acted that way with me, so I removed him from the school, got him diagnosed, and I treated him with diet, exercise, and the ability to teach him myself to keep his mind occupied. He did not need drugs.

When Matt was almost ten years old, he came to us for help. He felt limited in what he could do, that he did not have control over himself where he could make friends or concentrate on school work. He tested high on all academic testing, a very high IQ for his age, but could not manage simple things like attention, twitching, and loud outbursts. He hated feeling that way, and asked that I do something. That was quite a few years ago. When he was about 12 or so, he asked that he be taken off his meds for the summer, and seeing as this is HIS body and HIS choice, we spoke to the doctor who agreed to see how Matthew managed on his own. He did great as far as we could see... until school started. The grades went down, and he could not get a grip on the social aspect of school. He went back on, but only at a low dose (unknown to him that it was a low as he could get!) to see how he improved. He struggled a bit, being the meds were barely there, but he got a hang of it and started to soar. He puts in more effort than most kids, but he is used to that, and has finally learned to manage.

So, seeing as he is on the lowest dose, and has managed fine, he is asking again to go off. He is hoping it will be for good this time. I think he deserves to have that chance. Now maybe if my son was in the wrong crowd, or his grades were a constant struggle, or he was depressed or withdrawn, then I would consider keeping this my choice. Since he is and has always been well informed of his choices and how his body feels, I am trying once again to let him make this decision himself. He will struggle, he will get frustrated, he may change his mind...but I have confidence in him and will do as he wishes. This is NOT my body, this is NOT my choice.

Today is our doctors appointment, and we will see what he chooses to do.

1 comment: