My family in Alaska is large, and when we get the relatives from the lower states to join us, we can certainly fill a room! This is my mother and father, my older sister Lynn and her family, my younger sister Shannyn and her family, my brother Curt minus his wife, my cousin Mary and her family, my Aunt Georgia and Aunt Jill, then there is us and our kids. These are the people that make the cold winter months enjoyable in Alaska. Summer is great too! July 2009

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Poor Luke!!!


It seems the boy can't catch a break! First he comes home with a book report, and decided to do one on an older kids book. I don't tell him no, or that he needs to choose something less hard. I went for it, even though it took him weeks to read the book, "Maximum Ride; Angel Experiment". Yes, I thought it too old for him, but reading it myself I knew there was nothing 'bad' in it. I just knew his book report was going to be harder than he expected. He gets more points for creativity, so we came up with a sandwich book report called "Tired of chewing on the same old books?" Each subject was a different thing on a sandwich. Even though it was due on Thursday, we needed to get it done and out of the way before his school play. He finally finished it this past Sunday with cramped fingers and read it in class the following Monday. I think it turned out pretty good.

BUT...He also has his weekly spelling contract where he has to write them 5x's, do a crossword, and definitions or a sentence of each one. That is 30 different words now! Contracts are due every Thursday.

THEN...he has a part in the play, one of the three main people, and he has to know his lines. Every night he has been going to bed with a CD playing of the play, and the script in front of him. He has been practicing with every spare moment he has.

AND...he has a project due in two weeks about a piece of American History. He got to choose his own subject and he chose the California Gold Rush. He has plenty of information stored in his folder on our computer, but that is about as far as he has gotten. This is due on March 4th, very soon!

AND THEN...I found out today that he has a science project coming up and yesterday was the day he was supposed to put in his idea for the project. He missed the turn in date, but still plans to do one this year. I know his teacher will sign off on his idea, but he has to write it down and get it to her. This project will take weeks to do, and we don't even know the due date because he lost his paperwork about it.

With all that he has to do, no wonder he is going to bed with a headache every night!!! I have been through this twice with the other boys, but honestly I don't remember so many projects piled on top of one another so quickly. There was no way I could tell him he could not try out for the play either. Why stop him? So I am willing to stand by to help without letting him pass the work on to me. I am going to be there for his questions, and to help cut or paste or whatever. I know in real life he would have to do this on his own or find someone to help, but until then, I am going to keep him on track the best I can.

I feel so bad for him, and if I am tired of it, I know HE is!! Poor thing.

BTW...Luke played Winter soccer for the Cook Inlet Soccer Club. He was a sub player pulled in because without him the team would have been broken up and given to other coaches (not enough to play as a full team). When it was all said and done, Luke was the only one not to get a trophy. Soooooo, I went to a shop today and picked one out with all the same info the CISC usually has on there. He deserved a trophy, and now he has one. I will post a picture of it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment